Orthopaedics is the specialty involved with diagnosing and treating the musculoskeletal system. Saint Mary’s Regional Health System’s orthopaedic surgeons treat a wide assortment of injuries and diseases of the skeleton.Most orthopedic physicians use minimally invasive procedures to help reduce pain and speed recovery.
Musculoskeletal problems affect one in every four people and can strike nearly every area of your body. According to the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons:
- Arthritis is the leading chronic condition reported by the elderly.
- Back or spine injuries are the most prevalent musculoskeletal conditions.
- Sprains, dislocations and fractures account for almost half of all musculoskeletal injuries.
- More than half of all athletic injuries occur in the knee. Orthopedic surgeons treat knees more often than any other part of the body.
- Carpal tunnel syndrome accounts for more than two million physician visits a year.
Some other conditions that may cause you to visit an orthopaedic surgeon include:
- Joint reconstruction
- Broken bones
- Sports injuries
- Arthroscopic knee and shoulder surgery
- Reconstructive surgery
- Trauma surgery
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
- Hand injuries
- Foot and ankle injuries
For more information or to schedule an appointment, contact Millard-Henry Clinic at 479.890.2433.