Being a big brother or sister is a really big job!July 19, 2010
How we can help:
As your family continues to grow, Saint Mary’s is here to help you meet new challenges. As part of our Goodmoms program, we offer the Goodsiblings class to future big brothers and big sisters.
When a new baby joins the family, older siblings must go through a period of adjustment. The Goodsiblings program may help by providing information and direction to aid in this exciting yet stressful time.
Siblings-to-be who enroll in Goodsiblings classes will be taught much about what to expect while Mom is in the hospital and when the new baby comes home. They will see what newborns look like and hear what the new baby may sound like. Instructors will show siblings how they can help Mom, Dad and baby at home and how to properly interact with the youngest addition.
This fun learning experience is offered at no charge to children of Millard Henry Clinic patients. Class materials and keepsake items include:
- A small logoed shoulder bag – to keep ready just like Mom’s!
- Big brother/Big Sister coloring pages with crayons.
- “My Little Brother/Sister” keepsake sheets for the new baby’s birth information, to be completed with footprints during the hospital stay.
- A “cap and gown” ceremony at the conclusion of the class.
- A Certificate of Achievement, presented during “graduation.”
- A plush toy wearing a pink or blue “I’m a big sister/brother!” t-shirt. This toy is offered during the hospital stay, and is given to all siblings whose families deliver at Saint Mary’s.
All print items are sized to 5 x 7 for framing or scrapbooking convenience.
A group photo will be taken of all Goodsiblings class “graduates.” With parental consent, the photo will be issued for publication in area newspapers.
Goodsiblings is open to children of all ages, and is especially helpful to children ages two and older. Goodsiblings meets the second Monday of each month from 6:30 to 7:30 on the campus of Saint Mary’s Regional Medical Center. The class is taught by the dedicated staff of Saint Mary’s Women’s and Children’s unit.
Please register by calling 964-5436 or 964-9178 between 8 am and 3 pm, Monday through Friday.